(P1) Two former senior officials who have pleaded guilty to criminal corruption charges have been banned from football-related activity for life by Fifa.
(P2) The sport’s governing body began its own investigation into Rafael Callejas and Alfredo Hawit after they were among 16 football officials arrested by US authorities in Zurich in December 2015.
(P4) Fifa’s ethics committee says the men, both Honduran nationals, took bribes from marketing companies over the awarding of commercial rights for World Cup qualifying matches. It said the bans would come into force immediately.
(P5) Hawit, a former Fifa vice-president, was interim president of Concacaf when he was held in Switzerland last year. Concacaf governs football in North America, Central America, and the Caribbean.
(P6) Callejas, Honduras’ president between 1990 and 1994, was a member of Fifa’s marketing and TV committee when the arrests were made in a dawn raid at the same hotel where seven other top Fifa officials were held in May 2015.
(P7) The pair were arrested on suspicion of accepting millions of dollars of bribes, at the request of the US authorities.
(P8) Speaking at the time, US attorney general Loretta Lynch said: “The betrayal of trust set forth here is outrageous. The scale of corruption alleged herein is unethical.”
(P9) Callejas will be sentenced in the US on 27 January, while Hawit, who has also pleaded guilty to conspiracy to obstruct justice, will be sentenced on 24 March.
VOCABULARY: racketeering, fraud, bribes, interim, raid, betrayal
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- In your opinion do you think the two individuals should have received a life ban from FIFA? Why or why not?
- Do you think bribery happens in every country? Why or why not?
- Why do you think people take bribes?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Where were the two Hondurans taken into custody?
- What high ranking FIFA position did Hawit hold in the past?
- Callejas was the _____________ of Honduras in the early 1990’s.
- What country asked for the two Hondurans to be arrested on bribery charges?
- Both Callejas and Hawit will be sentenced on the same day. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- for life BY FIFA (P1)
- the sport’s governing body (P2)
- Honduran nationals (P4)
- dawn raid (P6)
- the scale of corruption (P8)
Image source: by “unknown” Getty Images http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38370767